Hey, guys! It's L.A. time again with Chef Manolo Acha! What's he got for us today?
Cream of Mushroom Soup
prep time: 20 mins
cook time: 20 mins
5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon fresh thyme
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon sherry
- In a large heavy saucepan, cook mushrooms in the broth with onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, puree the mixture, leaving some chunks of vegetable in it. Set aside.
- In the saucepan, melt the butter, whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, half and half and vegetable puree. Stirring constantly, bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste, and add sherry.
- Add desired garnish such as parsley, garlic bread, or sauted mushrooms for more depth
Hints and tips:
- If fresh button mushrooms are not avaible, canned mushrooms can be used but flavor will be sacrificed.
- If so fresh thyme is also not available then dried thyme is ok but be careful because dried herbs are stronger. So be minimal when using such product.
- Half-&-half means half milk and half cream, but if you want the soup to be richer you could always use full heavy cream
- I tend to add a tablespoon or two of butter when finishing the soup to make it look glossier and flavorful. Just swirl it in the pot once soup is in its final minute of cooking time
Chef Manolo says:
As simple as it gets, cream of mushroom had always been my favorite soup since childhood. This dish is creamy, hearty, rich, and comforting once you have that nice porcelain bowl full of mushroomy goodness. Have this on a rainy day or cold weather, or better yet, whenever you feel like it because cravings can always be quenched. Just remember that making this with love and time, you can always make a perfect dish that worth savoring for. ENJOY!!!