5/8/13

Cebu Secret Chows: The Suite Room -- Cebu's Newest Boutique Restaurant by Casa Verde

         Before anything, this post was meant to be published two weeks ago but my camera got lost along with the precious photos of the glorious food so I had to ask for some photos from mi amigo, Mustachio. 

         I was invited to an exclusive lunch at The Suite Room last month. I've heard of this place somewhere before but the only clue I had about it was that it was by Casa Verde. I never really found out if it was already operational or where the location was.
         
         So, I was very excited about this invite as though I were unraveling a mystery. It's going to be a long post but it's worth the read, I promise!

         The Suite Room is located at the Ramos branch (the pioneer branch) of the famous home-grown Casa Verde. It's a separate extension, just a little room that could comfortably accommodate 12 people. Apparently, it had already been open for service since Sinulog (which is in January); but that day, we had the first dibs on the new menu.



[photos above from The Suite Room]

         
          As soon as you open the door, you instantly find yourself in a hotel suite-furnished room. It was lavish and classy, and perfect for intimate meals. It had all the works -- plush upholstery, classy wooden tables, a faux fireplace with a huge flat screen TV above it, a dresser with a gorgeous mirror, and even a headboard of a bed at the wall behind the upholstered counter to top off the suite room effect -- and everything was custom-made.

          This concept was inspired from the owner's travels. The setting might immediately give the impression of a pricey menu but Casa Verde stands by its principle of giving AFFORDABLE quality; so, expect the menu to be reasonably priced. Personal service is provided and food is served in fine dining fashion but guests are not required a strict dress code. They make sure to let you sit back, relax, and enjoy the comforts of a simulated check-in to a suite room.

          We were welcomed with -- to our delight -- hotel bedroom slippers. Geared up with our slippers, we then embarked on a 7-course gastronomic expedition of their new menu. 

  FIRST COURSE        
Salads

Mixed Green Salad w/ candied walnuts and strawberry vinaigrette
Caesar's Salad
Thai Prawn Fresh Spring Rolls

         I tend to favor Asian flavors more than any other cuisine but all the salads were excellent. I could taste the anchovies in the Caesar dressing and I loved that the greens were delicately coated and not drenched.

          The Mixed Green Salad is perfect if you want a light salad. I loved the candied walnuts and the tart strawberry dressing added just the right acidity.

           The Thai Prawn Fresh Spring Roll was generously filled with vermicelli, carrots, turnip, cilantro, and a tender, sweet prawn.


SECOND COURSE
Soups

Prawn and Beef Noodle Soup
Cream of Mushroom
Pumpkin Soup

         I had the Prawn and Beef Noodle Soup first (Asian, told ya). It had a siding of pickled cucumbers and carrots which you MUST add to the soup. It was the most interesting one, bursting with flavors -- sweet, salty, and sour -- playfully teasing the palate all the while in perfect harmony. The cream soups were also smooth and fine. 


THIRD COURSE
Appetizers

Meatballs in Stewed Tomato Sauce served w/ bread
Cajun Style Skewered Shrimps 
Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings Asian Style

             These were the best meatballs I've ever had. They were juicy and cooked just right -- not underdone and not overdone. The Cajun style shrimps on the other hand were also tender and sweet. The chicken wings were well... chicken wings. I'm not a fan of pineapples in savory dishes.


FOURTH COURSE
Sandwiches

Chicken Salad Sandwich
You know what this is ;)
Tuna Salad Sandwich

               Since The Suite Room is open all day, you can snug up in a corner with their sandwiches or tacos if you want some peace and quiet. I wished they served healthier sandwiches though. 

(belly about to burst at this point and expecting main course is next but then...)

FIFTH COURSE
Pasta

Spaghetti and Sausage in Tomato Sauce
Spinach & Ricotta Cheese Ravioli in Tomato Cream Sauce
Bacon and Mushroom in Pesto Cream Sauce
Shrimp Fettuccine in Alfredo Sauce

          You can hate me for this, but you really can't bring me to finish a whole plate of carbonara. I'm just not the cream sauce type; but I don't mind having cream-based sauces as long as they're not purely cream -- such as, pesto cream! So, my pick among the pasta we tasted was the Bacon and Mushroom in Pesto Cream. I love ravioli but somehow, theirs didn't feel right. It was a bit too hard for me. I like the kind that slips in the mouth and bursts open with a smooth, rich spinach and ricotta filling.  


And finally...

SIXTH COURSE
Main Course

Pan Fried Salmon in Citrus Butter Sauce with Mushroom Risotto
Australian Beef Striploin Steak
Australian Beef Rib Eye Steak
Fresh Corned Beef w/ Horseradish Sauce
1/2 Citrus Herb Roasted Chicken
Skewered Surf and Turf with Cajun Butter
Pork Kalbi
Baked Cream Dory

          Oh boy, the main course was like a spectacular firework one after the other. The steaks were impressive and on the lighter side, my fave is the salmon with risotto... I'm at a  loss for words.

(surpassed glutton level right here... but my favorite course is just too good to pass up on!)

SEVENTH HEAVEN COURSE
Dessert

Frozen Caramel Macchiato
Green Tea Ice Cake
RAINBOW CAKE!!!
*photos by Mustachio (thanks so much for the awesome photos!)

         Finally, surviving that huge wave of courses, the last men standing were just me and Mustachio. I initially didn't know how to feel about dessert anymore whether it was punishment or reward. When the cakes arrived, I transformed into a masochist more than happy to meet punishment. The Suite Room's Frozen Caramel Macchiatto and Green Tea Ice Cake were absolutely perfect. And the plain white frosted cake I noticed in the chiller was actually a RAINBOW CAKE! That cake I used to see in Instagram photos from Manila or elsewhere. Oh joy! Definitely felt like sliding down a rainbow into a pot of gold. 

              It's seriously been a while since I've had a meal as great as that. Though the meal was a long one, it was a smooth ride. Servings were hearty, plating was beautiful and most importantly, they all tasted as good as they looked. Best of all, the most expensive dish on the menu is only P450 and that's already a steak!

          If you order a la carte, the servings are mostly big; but if you feel like splurging on a meal, you can get their set menu which consists of soup, salad, entree and dessert for only P500. You can also rent out the whole room for just P5,000 consumable for 3 hours. This is definitely one of the coziest places in town. 

Reminder: Reservation is highly recommended. 


*This is a Cebu Secret Chows segment. Check out the page on my homepage's menu bar for the complete list and more posts like this. :D 



The Suite Room
69 Lim Tian Teng St. Ramos, Cebu City

Contact:  (032) 254 0508
               thesuiteroom@casaverdecebu.com

Operating Hours:  11 am - 10 pm  DAILY



"To know Cebu, eat Cebu! :D"


oink oink, 
Babe for Food
- your BFF in Cebu dining

31 comments:

  1. Oh God. Must visit soon! Oh God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nom nom nom. Nom nom nom. Nom nom nom. Nom nom nom. Nom nom nom. BURP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Affordable yet classy meal, wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya gotta take me when I visit, Justinne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your blogs jus!! please dont stop! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question: Ang 500php, pila ka courses na na? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup, salad, entree and dessert. So, 4. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh! That's why it was closed for a time!! Awesomesauce!:)

    deleoncharmaine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks amazing - I first came accross the restaurant when i went on the casa verde website and your review confirms that it's definitely somewhere I should try. It looks very European in it's concept, (as well as the food). The only thing I don't understand is why they have a TV there? Is that to make it look like a hotel room? I hope they don't actually turn it on while you're eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Yes, it's definitely a must try. I've dined there twice and so far they don't turn the TV on so I guess you're good there. Hehe. Go try it! The steak is well worth it. :D

      Thanks for reading my blog and dropping a comment! :)

      Delete
    2. wow, that's cheap for some classy food in a stylish suite room!

      Delete
  9. Very worth the read babe! Ced and I will be visiting on our 2nd anniv. Thanks for all the tips here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Rabs! Advance happy anniv! I'm pretty sure you both will enjoy it there. ;)

      Delete
  10. ` I must visit this soon :) Nam Nam ! Nice photos ..

    Maybe you want to try this www.mcitisuitescebu.com, this also contains nice features.Enjoy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a place to try out because it is new. But to call it a fine dining restaurant is an interesting comment. If it is to be based on the menu & photo's alone, there is no way you can call it fine dining. There are a few other established resto's in Cebu that also call their places fine dining. These menu's & the execution in these also are not exactly fine dining at all. It cannot be based on just how the place looks or the service, even proper fine dining service is far different from normal style service, But will try it anyway as I am sure the food tastes ok & the prices are probably alright also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good point. Touche! I agree with you. I guess I should've said the service is pseudo fine dining. Haha. Thanks for the insightful comment! :)

      Delete
    2. I agree... Based on the images I'm seeing, I wouldn't touch the soil in which it stands. The presentation is so bad and the food looks so dry. The picture of the "Fresh Corned Beef" looks like it's leftovers Food. But who am i to judge. All I'm seeing are pictures... I hope the restaurant owner is listening. Some improvement can be done on the marketing photos that you release. And if this is really the way you present your food. That can use some improvement as well...

      Delete
    3. Hi Bubi. Uhh...those are not marketing photos. Those photos were taken by a poor old blogger like me. Pplease excuse the amateur shots :D Don't judge a book by its cover. In this case, don't judge the food by my poor pictures. Why don't you give the place a try? :)

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the food looks great and place seems nice.. will try this place out some day. I love the furniture, I feel like i wanna make a project out of it. :)

    Alicinwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an awesome post. It helped me a lot. Thanks for the information. Nice holiday vacation and staying in luxury hotels where everything is beautiful and perfect.Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! I'm about to freak out! Parang sa masterchef yung mga foods! Those desserts... yummy talaga.
    Kaibril's Sweet Life - Delicious desserts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Directly after a show from anybody, you can't even indicate that something might be improved. What artists and celebrities need is congrats and support. They haven't descended off that apex of force.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my stars. All this foood!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Pwede po ba walk in customers? Kahit walang reservations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually they don't accept reservations at the Ayala Terraces branch so walk-ins are very much welcome. :)

      Delete