3/26/12

Cebu Secret Chows: A Perfect Ten Dining Experience

      It's been too long since I've posted about a secret food spot. I've been caught up with school and budget's been pretty tight but I finally got to visit one this month. What a relief!

     It was my dearest classmate's birthday on March 7. Chin-Chin is now 17 and I admit, I tend to forget her age because she's so mature! I feel like she's my age or is it the other way around? Haha. Just kidding.
     
     We planned to have lunch at J Center to grab some Cobo but it was too much of a hassle to get there because we came from the south campus. It would have to take 3 jeepney rides for us to get there and we were already pretty hungry. She decided to treat me to 10 Dove St. instead.

     10 Dove St. is located at Sto. Nino Village, Banilad. I've heard of this home-based restaurant years ago but I've never gotten to visit it 'til that day. I've only eaten their ube cake which my mom orders occasionally.
the birthday girl: Chin-Chin!
cute chairs that complement the ambience
Chin-Chin with their selection of their home-made cakes
cute menage (salt and pepper holders)!
     Finally having dined there thanks to Chin-Chin, the place was definitely a hidden treasure. It reminded me of the intimate setting at Cul de Sac down Maya St. But of course, this dainty little resto was special in its own way. They specialize in gourmet sandwiches which they offer with a choice of wheat or regular bread. 


      Like Cul de Sac, they have a set menu which consists of a soup, salad, sandwich and cake for only P 190. Great deal if you ask me! The menu was an interesting read. It was only there that I've encountered a wide variety of sandwiches meant as main dish and I did struggle a bit with my selections because I wanted to try so many of the choices. Anyway, I ended up with:

Soup: Brocolli and Cheese


     I've always been a fan of broccolli since I was younger hence the selection. Since it came with cheese, I was kinda expecting it to be slightly thick and elastic but unfortunately, my expectations were not met. I was disappointed when I found that the brocolli wasn't so fresh because the flowers were brownish. I had to season my soup a bit as dictated by my palate but there was a bit of a surprise when I discovered bits of extra miniature parmesan croutons as I dug down the soup.

Salad: Harvest Apple

chunky apple slices, black grapes, toasted whole walnuts, marshmallows and dried dates in light mayo 
      This actually just gave me the impression of a waldorf salad with marshmallows. I've heard of marshmallows in salads before but this was the first time I've tasted it. I'm not sure if it really suits my palate but it does add to the sweetness and texture of the salad. I also loved the combination of toasted walnuts and apples. And the natural sweetness of the grapes and dried dates melded well to complete the salad.

Sandwich: Poseidon's Quest

They're plating.
My plating. Hehe. :D
my real good fat ass sandwich! <3
       The highlight of the meal, one of their glorious sandwiches. I was feeling health-conscious that day so I opted for just a fish sandwich (wheat, of course). I was so glad they didn't use cream dory. It was breaded lamon-lamon (parrot fish) fillet, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber with dill mayo dressing. 

          Though it was just one layer, it was very filling and satisfying. The fish was cooked perfectly, tender and juicy on the inside. Chin-Chin and I switched half of our sandwiches to get a taste of both.

Dessert: Chocolate Decadence


          This, I was excited for. Dessert is always my favorite part of a meal. I wanted to try their carrot cake but this got the better of me. Irresistible. Dark chocolate ganache, moist and soft cake, with a luscious velvety filling. Double sinful!

As for Chin-Chin's choices....

Soup: Clam Chowder


       I found that our soups were of the same broth or base but hers was tastier because of the natural juices of the clam meat. 

Salad: Fandango

w/ a raspberry vinaigrette
iceberg lettuce, parmesan croutons, mandarin oranges, cheese and toasted walnuts
          This is one of their top selling salads but the vinaigrette was too thick. I think it was just raspberry jam added with a little oil and water; nothing special. 

Sandwich: Roast Beef

        This is just as good as a burger -- strips of beef tenderloin, sauteed onions and cheddar cheese. Really heavy. With the set meal, this is ultimately worth it. I loved this, too. Chin-Chin and I struggled to finish our meals because it was really heavy. 

Dessert: Mango Avocado Cake

      And of course, the perfect match to that heavy sandwich is a light fruity chiffon cake. This was really good; light yet flavorful enough and more than satisfactory. Mango and avocado are a perfect combination aside from the lovely color contrast; a teaser for the eyes and palate. 

      Coincidentally, 10 Dove has just turned 10 years old early this year and i'm sure it has left nostalgic marks on diners and still continues to. They are usually busy on weekends, both during lunch and dinner. This is a perfect place for a date away from the hustle and bustle of the city and even for meetings or an intimate party. 

10 Dove St., Banilad, Cebu City
For reservations, call (032) 346 0618
Operating hours: Monday - Saturday 11:30 a.m - 10:00 p.m.
Map: link


To know Cebu, eat Cebu! :D

xoxo,
Babe for Food
- your BFF in Cebu dining! :)

11 comments:

  1. I haven't been to this place in years! Maybe I should give them a visit soon...this time with a date! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I like that idea. I wanna go back with a date too. ;)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard about this place! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, go ahead and check it out! Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your nice and constructive comments - we will continue to make our place better -

    I do not usually read blogs - someone forwarded it to me - I just like the way your pictures came out.

    Thank you once more. Hope you visit us again.

    Much appreciated,
    Marisol V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog, Ms. V! Would definitely love to go back more often. God bless! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! Planning to go here next month when we visit Cebu. The Chocolate Decadence Cake really looks good. Yum!

    Denise
    http://satisfyingjuansappetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by the blog, Denise! Glad you find this useful. This is definitely a place to visit in Cebu! And yes, that cake is a sinful pleasure. Haha. ;)

      Delete
  5. Chocolate decadence looks amazing as well as the mango avocado cake. I hope to travel in Cebu and eat these tasty desserts.
    Kaibril's Sweet Life - Delicious desserts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, they're good. 10 Dove is quite popular for their cakes already and is a must visit place when in Cebu. :)

      Delete
  6. One of the best place to dine. Been there and also the A.S fortuna branch really love the scrumptious food. =)

    ReplyDelete